Saturday, February 22, 2014

My Diary is Pink and my Journal is Blue


My hands are under the bed, and my neck is strained backwards as I try to press my whole self under to grab my key.  "It is under here somewhere, it just dropped", I think, and finally my hands feel the stick of the mini jagged edges.  My diary is safe once again.  At 10 I was the typical 80's latch key
kid, door key around the neck and a freezer full of banquet meals to keep my gut in check.   The door key, I knew not to lose unless I wanted to risk a near death incident with Granny, but the diary key, my heart wanted to keep safe, even more than my butt.  Acting like a true kid who thinks they have "business" I knew I couldn't take the embarrassment of anyone reading my private thoughts.  As much as I hating whooping, I sure would choose to lose the door key before allowing this diary key to linger under my bed for unsuspecting, nosey, cleaning family members to find.  
As, I became a "BIG" girl, and began to Journal, because that's what "BIG" girls do.  "BIG" girls are sophisticated and that is why they use fancy lined journals for their daily entries and little girls use cute pink books with fragile gold locks on them.  I am a "BIG" girl now, so, I journal and I don't use immature things like diaries anymore.  There was some truth to my thoughts, I was a "BIG" Girl now, but I didn't know that the difference between a diary and a journal was not merely the color and number if lines on the page.
In my cute youthful Pink Hello Kitty Diary, the expectation was chronicled experience and daily to do's, much like creating a travel diary it would look like:
(Today we ate breakfast at the hotel and went sightseeing in downtown Atlanta, tomorrow we will visit Stone Mountain and see the laser show)
In this chronicled, diary-style example I left myself no feeling and emotional identifier.  
If I created a journal entry about my day in Atlanta, it would read something like:
(When we turned the corner onto historic Peachtree Street, I was amazed at the metropolitan and interesting scenery, but I couldn't help but thinking that these fancy building and diverse metropolis were once places where Black men and women, were beaten, hosed and abused during their fight for civil rights.  It became difficult for me to enjoy the sites, wondering if the commercialization of the day was what the freedom fighters of before were seeking.)
Lois Guarino interprets the differences between diaries and journals to mean that the journal is a place where "you can commune with rarely explored parts of yourself and where those parts can answer back. It is this dialogue, carried on over an extended period of time, that has the potential to bear surprising insights, support truth-telling, and foster courage."

I encourage you to begin your very own journal and begin to experience that freedom brought in through reflection.
"Know you and Always Cheer your Me" Mika Terry

0 comments:

Post a Comment